While Docker Gains Popularity with SaaS Developers, New Platform Helps IT Simplify, Leverage and Manage Docker and Surrounding Technologies for Enterprise Unique Needs
Mountain View, Calif. – December 17, 2014 – WaveMaker Inc., a leading enterprise application Platform-as-a-Service (aPaaS) software company, today announced WaveMaker Cloud, the Docker-architected dedicated cloud platform software for the enterprise and managed service provider (MSP).
Docker containerization is gaining rapid popularity with Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) developers because of clear benefits such as simplified and continuous app delivery. Enterprise developers also want to leverage Docker for easy provisioning and efficient testing, but IT has unique needs that Docker does not solve out-of-the-box, such as security and access control, supporting heterogeneous infrastructure, apps and app stacks, backup and recovery, visibility and monitoring, and integration. However, if enterprise IT does not provide Docker, their developers will get Docker via public services. WaveMaker Cloud helps enterprise IT provide Docker for its developers while meeting the unique needs of enterprise IT.
SaaS companies typically have one application running on one homogeneous app stack that they simply need to scale. Enterprises, on the other hand, have many different apps, running on heterogeneous app stacks. Enterprises have more complex needs from different constituents with differing priorities, including:
- Developers want to self-provision various app stacks, but IT admins need visibility into operations, and enterprise architects and DevOps want to ensure app stacks can be easily upgraded for security and manageability. Meanwhile, admins are wary of upgrades which might disrupt critical business SLAs.
- Developers want to reduce errors introduced by differences in test and production environments, but IT admins need to optimized mixed resources (for CapEx or OpEx), and allocate resources based on prioritized need (e.g., walled development environment, temporary public cloud elasticity for test, spare metal for staging, high SLA for production).
- DevOps wants to simplify the release and provisioning processes across multiple environments (e.g., development, test, QA, staging, production), eliminating the need to develop and maintain lots of provisioning and deployment scripts. But developers want flexibility of technologies.
- Enterprise architects want to enable a scalable, maintainable microservices architecture (MSA) via containerization, and adhere to internal application technology and app stack standards, while ensuring security and integration with other systems (e.g., LDAP or AD for privileges).
WaveMaker Cloud not only helps enterprise IT deliver Docker more easily and safely for their developers for either trial or production, but also delivers critical capabilities for the enterprise on top of Docker, such as:
- Ease packaging of various app stacks. An easy UI portal interface, allows DevOps to easily configure the stack. WaveMaker Cloud auto-generates the Docker file and pushes it to a private registry for easy retrieval. Enterprise IT admins and architects can ensure the use of internally approved app stack software for better security and manageability.
- Simplify app stack and service provisioning into Docker containers.
- IT admin can define infrastructure boundaries, allocating containers to resources and assigning rights to logical cloud “shards” (e.g., for development, test, and production).
- Easy app and app stack upgrading.
- App data is stored in separate data layers for easier, operations, backup and recovery.
- Leverage containers for better resource utilization – e.g., use container start/top speed to hibernate passive containers and re-active them when needed, without impact to user experience.
- Scale horizontally by environment for different purposes (development, test or production).
- WaveMaker Cloud’s built-in load balancer auto-synchronizes new containers for rapid, easy horizontal scaling.
Since WaveMaker is a software platform, enterprises can install WaveMaker Cloud on their own public or private infrastructure. And MSPs can offer WaveMaker Cloud as a Docker PaaS to their business customers.
“Developers are moving in droves to Docker. The real risk for the enterprise is waiting until their developers have already started using public services for Docker, where their code and data jump the firewall,” said Samir Ghosh, CEO of WaveMaker, Inc. “But Docker is not an out-of-the-box solution. SaaS companies have teams implementing Docker and additional required components (for clustering, networking, data isolation, etc.) for a single workload. Therefore, enterprises need a PaaS to handle the compounded complexity of varied workloads and other diverse needs like mixed infrastructure, global coverage, security, integrations, etc.). Plus, IT will soon discover that they can leverage containerization for improved utilization of their virtualized infrastructure and even use containerization instead for certain workloads. Rather than going with a heavy PaaS that has added Docker as an afterthought, WaveMaker Cloud was specifically architected around Docker to meet enterprise needs.”
About WaveMaker, Inc.
WaveMaker’s software platform revolutionizes how enterprises build, deliver and manage modern custom applications, improving business agility and fostering innovation. WaveMaker leverages the latest trends and technologies in Rapid App Development (RAD) such as multi-device auto-responsive interfaces and componentized app assembly, Docker for app-optimized container deployment on private infrastructures, and APIs and MicroServices Architecture (MSA) for scalable integration. WaveMaker, Inc., a Pramati Technologies company, is headquartered in Mountain View, CA with offices in Hyderabad, India. WaveMaker app development is available for free, and enterprise features including app hosting are available for trial at wavemaker online and requests for the demo of WaveMaker Cloud (Docker PaaS) can be made.