The Build process for a mobile application can be performed through an automated build process where you can generate .apk (Android application package) or .ipa file (iOS App Store package). Another way is to download Cordova/PhoneGap compatible .zip files to build systems manually for Android/iOS platforms.
WaveMaker Studio supports you to build mobile applications in the following ways:
- Build for Android: Through this build, you can generate APK files which can be signed and hosted on PlayStore.
- Send to PhoneGap: Through this build, it provides you a complete package of building both apk/ipa files for Android and iOS platforms.
- Manual Build: Through this build, you can generate or download a .zip file which can be further developed to be hosted on any mobile platform.
Prerequisites for Manual Build
- Download and install Node.js. On installation, you should be able to invoke
- Download and install a git client.
- Install Cordova module using
npmutility of Node.js.
- on OS X and Linux:
sudo npm install -g cordova
- on Windows:
C:\>npm install -g cordova
For more information about installing the Cordova CLI, see Installing the Cordova CLI.
Manual Build - Cordova zip
If you want to customize the build process you can issue Cordova/PhoneGap commands seamlessly for building artifacts.
To perform a Cordova Build, from the Main Menu of the Project Workspace, under Export option select Download as Cordova Zip. It opens the Build Cordova Zip window.
To save the properties for future builds, click Save. Click on Build to download the zip file.
- Ensure that Cordova@9.0.0 is setup on your machine, see here for details.
- Extract the zip contents (say, CORDOVA_PROJECT folder)
- In the terminal, go to CORDOVA_PROJECT (where the file was extracted to) directory and run the following commands:
$cordova platform add email@example.com
The above command will add Android Platform to your project structure and also install all plugins that you specified in
Once the build completes you can find the debug version of
.apk in your
For publishing to Play store
- You need a Keystore for signing your apk if you do not have the Keystore create one following these instructions.
- In CORDOVA_PROJECT/platforms/android folder, create a file named
release-signing.propertieswith following details:
storeFile=<path to keystore file> storePassword=<your_store_password> storeType=<your_store_type> (eg JKS) keyAlias=<your_key_alias> keyPassword=<your_key_password>
- Run the following command
Run the following commands in your Mac:
This will produce the .ipa file and you can install it on your iOS device using iTunes or XCode.
- In XCode, go to Windows → Devices then add your .ipa file to the device. Open the project in Xcode and run the following command:
- Using Xcode, one can run the project in emulators or create a .ipa file to publish. For more information, see the workflow.
- To install the app on an iPhone, connect a device to the MacBook with USB cable.
- Select that device in Xcode and click on run button. This will install the app on the device.
If you have PhoneGap installed in your system, it can allow both Cordova and PhoneGap commands to build apps.
For example, you can issue PhoneGap commands as following:
Or you can safely issue Cordova commands as well.