Heroku is a platform as a service (PaaS) that enables developers to build, run, and manage applications entirely in the cloud. Developers can setup a Continuous Integration pipeline for a wide range of technologies.
This post demonstrates how you can deploy a WaveMaker app to Heroku. You can also setup auto deploy from an associated GitHub account.
The process can be divided into following three steps:
- Configuring WaveMaker App for Heroku - which includes
- configuring Heroku's webapp-runner plugin
- adding Heroku's Procfile
- setting app in external repo
- Creating and Configuring Heroku App including
- creating Heroku app
- connecting it to the external repo
- Deploy and Run the App
- A WaveMaker App. See here for a jump start on WaveMaker App Building process.
App Configuration Setup for Heroku
Open the WavaMaker App you want to deploy to Heroku.
Configure Heroku’s webapp-runner plugin - Open pom.xml and add the following (as mentioned in the section “Configure Maven to download Webapp Runner” of this article.).
<plugin> <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId> <artifactId>maven-dependency-plugin</artifactId> <version>2.3</version> <executions> <execution> <phase>package</phase> <goals><goal>copy</goal></goals> <configuration> <artifactItems> <artifactItem> <groupId>com.github.jsimone</groupId> <artifactId>webapp-runner</artifactId> <version>184.108.40.206</version> <destFileName>webapp-runner.jar</destFileName> </artifactItem> </artifactItems> </configuration> </execution> </executions> </plugin>
Add a Heroku’s Procfile to WaveMaker App
- Using the instructions at Deploy your application to Heroku→ Create Procfile create the Procfile as a local file on your machine
- Upload it to the root of WaveMaker project using the Import -> Resource menu
Set up app in External Github Repository
Create and Configure Heroku application
- Create a new application in Heroku.
- Connect Heroku application to GitHub.
- Provide GitHub project name and connect.
- From Settings Add buildpack
- Select Java and Save changes
Deploy and run the application
- From the Deploy tab, Deploy Manually.
- Open Heroku application after the deployment is done.
- Your app is now running in Heroku
- Finally, enable auto deployment. Any push to GitHub repository will automatically deploy your application now.
Deployment to Heroku